Inspired by this recipe and this cook's illustrated one with blueberries. I cannot believe that the grated frozen butter trick was new to me, but it is perfect for scones. These have white and dark chocolate, half whole wheat flour, and lots of fresh cherries.
- 2¼ cups flour
- ½ cup sugar
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 egg
- ¾ cup milk
- a stick of butter, frozen
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 cup of fresh cherries
- ½ cup chocolate
- Grate most of the stick of butter. Half a stick is ok, 6tsp is better, 7 is better. Return the grated butter to the freezer.
- Pit and chop the cherries. Stick them in the freezer too.
- Chop the chocolate into chunks. Or just use chocolate chips.
- Combine dry ingredients and wet ingredients separately, then stir together to combine roughly. Add the butter and stir some more. Last, add the frozen or part-frozen cherries and the chocolate. Avoid overworking the dough, but fold it together a few times on a floured surface and then pat it into a rectangle.
- Cut into whatever shape you think scones should be.
- Brush with cream or milk and sprinkle with sugar or oats.
- Bake at 400° for about 25 minutes.