2005-11-02

Lentil soup / zuppa di lenticcie

I thought for sure I had posted this previously, but I seem to have been wrong. This is one of my favorite soups, especially with a nice crusty bread like ciabatta or a baguette. The first time I made it, I thought it would just be ok – nothing to invite someone over to share, just a nice rustic meal for myself. I was quite wrong and now have shared it several times, and everyone else has quite enjoyed it. Unfortunately, this is a vegan recipe so I am always sure to use at least some chicken stock. Fuck vegans!

Lentil soup

From the excellent cookbook Italia in Cucina from McRae books srl.

Ingredients

  • 1½ cups lentils (I use the big green kind, but any, from French green to brown to red would do nicely. Experiement!)
  • 1 medium onion, chopped finely
  • 2 small carrots, diced
  • 2 stalks celery, thinly sliced
  • 1 bay leaf
  • 2 cloves garlic, whole or finely chopped
  • A few fresh sage leaves, chopped
  • A heap of chopped fresh rosemary
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • olive oil

Method

Put the lentils in a bowl and cover with cold water to about 1¼ in above the lentils. Soak for an hour or two. Drain the lentils and place in a saucepan with the onion, carrots, celer;y, bay leaf, and garlic. Add enough cold water and chicken stock to cover to about 2 in above the level of the lentils. Cover, and cook over low heat for about 45 minutes.

Discard the bay leaf, add the sage and rosemary, and continue cooking, still covered and over low heat, for another 5–10 minutes. At this point, the lentils should be very soft and will begin to disintegrate. add salt and pepper to taste, drizzle with the oil, and serve.

No comments: