My flash isn’t digital-ttl capable, so I have to shoot all my flash shots manually (a useful exercise anyway, I suppose). Here by accident I had it on “high”, ISO 500, 1/125 f/5 (40mm). I especially like how the wood spatula handle floats against all the white.
Perhaps less interesting than the picture: this is two chinese preparations of choy. On the left, japanese bekana or tokyo choy is cooked with water chestnuts and cubed frozen (spongy) tofu, in oyster sauce (or, as Scott prefers, “brown” sauce) with scallion, ginger, and garlic. On the right is bok choy with carrots in a gingery miso sauce with honey. Both were delicious last night and for lunch today.
- fresh tortillas
- Masa for whatever other antojitos we want to make (sopes anyone?)
- Pork-raisin-almond-chile filling (see below)
- Shredded chicken filling
- Beans with pork
- Fresh and cooked tomatillo salsas
- Tomato salsa
- Zucchini and avocado carpaccio with herbs (inspired by last week’s Bittman column – oh, to be Patricia Wells…)
- Someone: bring crab, please
vitaminwater is the subject of the latest Slate “Ad Report Card” column. I have liked the stuff since I first saw it on 10/$10 sale. My favorite flavors are the red ones, the new XXX and Power-C. A friend alleges that all vitaminwater causes digestive … unpleasantness. Fortunately, I haven't had his problem. Also, the euro talk show ad is great – far better than any attempt I’ve seen for example on SNL since Sprockets.
I have mentioned to people carrots of colors other than orange, and they tend to register complete astonishment. It turns out we can blame the Dutch in the 16th century for favoring patriotic Orange carrots.
Here are two, which I'd call red and purple. The red has just a thin layer of bright pigment (so you'd never want to peel these!) and the purple one goes about halfway into the root.
- Bok choy
- Green leaf lettuce
- Sugar snap peas (hiding basket in the back)
- White radishes
- [Iron Creek Farm] Purple Cherokee tomato
- [Mick Klug] shelled peas!
- thai chili garlic fried noodle with carrot, broccoli rabe, and lemon basil
- stir fried bekara, miso-honey sauce & bok choy with oyster sauce
- bacon and mustard greens quiche
- lamb kofta or something meatballish with yogurt, and some type of naan or roti
- kale and butternut squash risotto
- salad with strip steak, hard-cooked egg, and sugar snap peas; roasted purple potatoes